Before You Come

Be sure to have the following in order before you arrive on campus.

Admission Packet

Upon acceptance to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as an exchange student, we will be mailing to your home institution a packet that includes your Notice of Acceptance letter from the University, the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (also called the DS-2019), and “Welcome Letter” from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Study Abroad Office.

Visa Application

All international students are required to obtain a visa before entering the United States. As an exchange student, you will be issued with a Notice of Admission and a DS-2019 in your admission packet. These documents will allow you to obtain a J1 visa for the duration of your stay.

Before applying for your J1 visa, you will need to pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee. Instructions for making payment are available at the Student and Exchange Visitor Program website.

Once you have paid the SEVIS fee, you will need to apply for your visa and schedule an appointment at the nearest designated U.S. consulate or embassy. For more information on applying for a visa, please consult the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor page.

When completing your visa application, please provide the following contact information under the required fields:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
International Student and Scholar Services

Your address in the USA will be:
400 Turner Student Services Building
610 E John Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Immunization History & TB Screening Forms

You must complete the Immunization History Form and TB Screening Form prior to your arrival on campus. Please carefully follow the instructions provided by McKinley Health Center. The Immunization History Form is due by July 1, 2017 for students entering the university in fall 2017. You will need to submit the completed TB Screening Form to the McKinley Health Center when you arrive on campus.

Claim Your NetID

Your NetID will be your most important electronic ID at the University of Illinois; you will use it for just about everything. The most immediate uses will be for University Housing reservation and course registration (subject to College holds and restrictions). Your NetID is a name assigned to you that is unique across all University of Illinois campuses. It serves as your login to many University computing and networking services and also determines your University email address, which is

To claim your NetID, go to and follow the instructions. Protect your NetID and NetID password. Do NOT share your NetID or NetID password with anyone.

Setting Up Your University of Illinois Email

University of Illinois undergraduate students set up an email account using Google Apps @ Illinois. You can find instruction on how to set up your new email on Technology Services website.

It is important that you set up and regularly check your University of Illinois email account. A lot of useful and essential information will be sent out to students at their University of Illinois email address.


The Study Abroad Office does not reserve housing for students, so you are responsible for arranging your own housing. There are many options available to exchange students: University Residence Halls, Private Certified Housing, and off-campus properties owned and managed by independent landlords. You may also find listings for subleases on the Study Abroad Housing Board. You will need your NetID and NetID password to access the Housing Board.

Exchange Student Finances

Even with a tuition waiver, you may still be required to pay various student fees or fees for instruction not covered under your exchange agreement.