The cost of a study abroad program varies depending on many factors; keep these in mind when researching programs and budgeting for your time abroad. Consider:
- Location: Cost of living in your host country and city (Western Europe, Tokyo, and Sydney are examples of locations with higher cost of living); Bigger city or smaller city (i.e., London is more expensive than Manchester); cost of international flight; cost of transportation within home city (walking, bus, taxi); cost of travel from the host city to other destinations.
- Duration: The longer the program, the less it costs per day, because you spread the fixed costs over a longer period of time.
- Type of program: Direct exchanges, Illinois Centers, and Faculty-Led programs abroad tend to be the most affordable programs.
- Living options: Some housing options are cheaper than others, depending on the program.
- Co-curricular activities: Getting involved with activities in your host city is more affordable than traveling with your free time. It has the added benefit of improving your knowledge of the host culture and strengthening your relationships with locals.
How to Find Program Costs
Find specific cost information for each program by locating your program of interest in our Program Search. Once on the specific program's page, locate the box below the program name that is labeled "Budget Sheets." To the right of this box you will find one or more links that correspond to the term or terms during which the program operates. The program costs are broken down into "Billable Costs" and "Non-Billable Costs."
Program Costs Prior to Departure
Plan to cover some costs before your study abroad program begins. Some programs require housing or other deposits before the program starts. You will probably also have to purchase airline tickets in advance. Please note that such costs will need to be covered directly by you or will be billed to your Illinois Student Account before financial aid is applied (although financial aid will take these costs into account). Keep this in mind as you budget for your time abroad.