Making Payments

Know how to pay your bills before you leave the country.

Advance Payment

If the Study Abroad Office accepts you to the study abroad program you applied for, the Study Abroad Office will bill your Illinois Student Account a non-refundable $305 advance fee to hold your place in your program. This is NOT an additional fee. However, if your host university or program provider does not ultimately accept your application, the Study Abroad Office will refund this Advance Payment.


If you are participating in a program administered by a third party, such as Alliance, Arcadia, IES, IFSA-Butler, or Minnesota, you will likely be asked to pay a program deposit directly to your program provider; the exception is CIEE.

This deposit will be applied to the overall cost of your program fee. Although this deposit is not an additional cost item, it is an amount that is separate from and in addition to the Advance Fee that the Study Abroad Office will bill to your Illinois Student Account. Please be advised that the program deposit will most likely be due before your study abroad financial aid and/or scholarships are dispersed.


When you study abroad, you will continue to receive E-Bills from Illinois. Payment procedures for study abroad charges on your Illinois Student Account are the same as when you study on campus.

Authorizing Others to View Your E-Bill & Make Payments

While you’re away, you can authorize up to two people to receive the same E-Bill notification emails sent to your university email. Log in to your Student Account page on UI-Integrate, click on "Authorize Payers," and follow the instructions on the screen. Then, the Authorized Individual may log in to the UI-Pay Authorized Individual website.

You will also need to complete the “Release Account Information” online questionnaire on your MyStudyAbroad account to designate who will be in charge of your financial matters while you are abroad. The Study Abroad Office will only be able to discuss your bill with the person(s) you designate on the form.

Power of Attorney

A Power of Attorney is a legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to sign your name on your behalf. We recommend that you designate a Power of Attorney before you go abroad in the event that you are unable to be present to sign a document, such as financial aid or a housing lease.

To obtain a free Power-of-Attorney, you could visit Student Legal Services (SLS), 324 Illini Union. NOTE that in order to access this service, you must have paid the SORF Fee and not claimed the SORF Fee refund for the semester prior to your departure. SLS is only available during the regular academic semesters. In other words, all consultations must be done before the end of each semester in December (fall semester) and May (spring semester).