As a student admitted through Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange, you are required to check in with the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) Office, the Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange Office, the McKinley Health Center, and your academic college.
Please plan to arrive on campus by January 11th for the mandatory Incoming Exchange Student Orientation. The most common way students arrive is by flying into Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD). Champaign is roughly a two and half-hour drive from Chicago, so if you fly into O'Hare, you will need to determine a way to transfer to Champaign. Do not attempt to hire a taxi-cab from O’Hare to Champaign. The best way to transfer to Champaign is via the multiple bus coach service options.
Checking in with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is mandatory to comply with U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations and to obtain your i-card. Without your i-card, you may not have access to various facilities, including University Housing, Campus Recreation and paid MTD bus transportation.
Further, please note that the ISSS immigration check-in is different from the ISSS orientation. The ISSS immigration check-in is required, while the ISSS orientation is only highly recommended.
Incoming Exchange Student Orientation
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange will offer one mandatory orientation on January 11th. More details coming soon.
Fall 2016 Essential Dates
- ISSS Check-In: January 11 - 13 (8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, WED-FRI) 400 Student Services Building 610 East John Street, Champaign, Illinois
- Recommended: International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Orientation: TBA
- Academic Briefings and Orientations: during mandatory orientation on TBA
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: January 16—No Classes
- First Day of Instruction: January 17
- Spring Vacation: March 18-26—No Classes
- Payment of Fees Due By: February 28, 2017
- Last Day of Instruction: May 3, 2017
- Reading Day: May 4, 2017
- Final Exams: May 5-12, 2017—Your date of departure must be after your last exam. You may not depart campus prior to you last exam. As a J-1 visa holder, you have a 30 day period to leave the US following your program end date (as listed on your DS-2019).
Please note: Your date of departure must be after your last exam. You may not depart campus prior to your last exam.
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange does not reserve housing for students, so you are responsible for arranging your own housing. There are many options available to exchange students: University Residence Halls, Private Certified Housing, and off-campus properties owned and managed by independent landlords. You may also find listings for subleases on the Study Abroad Housing Board. You will need your NetID and NetID password to access the Housing Board.
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange is here to try to facilitate your enrollment in courses that you need for your major at home. Read more to understand the registration process and academic culture on the Urbana-Champaign campus.
Even with a tuition waiver, you may still be required to pay various student fees or fees for instruction not covered under your exchange agreement.