Outgoing Application Process
Applying to study abroad is a student-driven process guided by professional staff. We expect you to take responsibility for the application process by asking questions along the way and adhering to important deadlines.
Before You Apply
Planning ahead is key to facilitating a smooth study abroad experience. Ideally, you should begin planning for study abroad at least one year prior to the program start date. If you are just getting started, you should review our list of recommended First Steps.
At minimum, you must be enrolled as a full-time student with good academic standing at Illinois to apply to study abroad. Most applications are standard across all program types and sponsoring campus unit. For more information on common application requirements, review the sections below.
The application process below is for Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE)-sponsored programs. For programs sponsored by the Colleges, please refer to their office for application instructions and support.
Steps to Apply
- Choose a program. Utilize the Program Search function in My Study Abroad to explore the options available.
- Review the costs, minimum eligibility requirements, deadlines, and application requirements for your program on the My Study Abroad program page.
- Create an application. Click on the “Apply Now” button on the My Study Abroad program page.
- Complete the requirements on your application checklist by the assigned deadline.
- Application requirements and deadlines vary by program type and campus unit sponsoring the program. Make sure to double check requirements and deadlines with professional staff if anything is unclear. Required components will appear in a list on your application homepage. When completed, check marks will appear next to each component.
- You may only apply to one IAGE-sponsored program per term. You will be asked to provide a second and third-choice program option in the event that you are not accepted to your first choice.
- If your program requires a second application to be submitted to the host institution or provider administering the program, you will be provided instructions for completing this application process via your application checklist in My Study Abroad or your Education Abroad Coordinator.
Some programs we administer are competitive, which means we may receive more applications than the program can accommodate. When a program has been competitive over multiple application cycles, it will be noted on the program page in My Study Abroad. Otherwise, students will be notified directly if we foresee that a program will be competitive for any given term. All applications to competitive programs will be evaluated by a selection committee using a rubric that takes into consideration the applicant’s GPA, academic recommendation, and quality of their personal essay responses. In the event a student is not accepted to their first-choice program, we will work with that student to explore their alternate program choices.
Resources & Support
Our Program Assistants and Education Abroad Coordinators are here to support you throughout the application process. If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. For more information about advising resources and support, visit the Advising page. If you are applying to a program sponsored by one of the Colleges or another department on campus, please contact that unit for resources and support.
For our programs, it can take between one to two weeks for our professional staff to review your application and reach a final decision. Your application decision will be communicated to you via email by your assigned Education Abroad Coordinator along with an overview of your next steps. Your application status will also be updated accordingly in My Study Abroad. Upon acceptance, you will receive a Program Budget and Confirmation of Participation outlining the costs and policy associated with your program. You will have one to two weeks to decide whether or not you will commit to your study abroad program. If you cancel your participation after committing to your program, you will be held responsible for a withdrawal fee. Review our withdrawal policy on the Billing & Withdrawals page.