Accepted Exchange Students
Congratulations on your admission to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign! The information below will help guide your journey and stay at the university. We look forward to welcoming you to campus.
Before You Arrive
It is crucial to read all university correspondence prior to arrival. You will be given specific instructions from multiple offices, including International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), the Undergraduate Admissions Office, and your academic college or department.
Once you are accepted to an exchange program, your admission packet will be shipped to your home institution. The admission packet includes your university welcome letter, Notice of Acceptance, and your DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status).
Immigration & Obtaining Your Visa
- If you hold a J-1 visa status, please pay your SEVIS fee once you receive your DS-2019 from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. The SEVIS fee can be paid on the Department of Homeland Security website (I-901 fee). Remember to print the receipt to present at your visa interview.
- Schedule an appointment as early as possible for your non-immigrant entry visa with a U.S. Embassy. Bring the required documents to your visa interview as listed on the embassy website.
- You will need to show the following documents at the U.S. Port of Entry:
- Entry visa
- Original DS-2019 (no copies)
- If you are a Canadian citizen, an entry visa is not required to enter the United States
Immunization History & TB Screening Forms
You must complete the Immunization History Form and TB Screening Form prior to your arrival on campus. You will need to submit the completed TB Screening Form to the McKinley Health Center when you arrive on campus.
You are responsible for arranging your own housing. There are many housing options available to exchange students. You may also find listings for subleases on the Study Abroad Housing Board (you will need your NetID/Password to login).
Student Health Insurance
Managing Your Finances
- Currency Exchange Rates
- Financial Wellness
- Flywire (wire transfer for international students)
- Money Guide for International Students
- Paying Tuition and Fees
- Payment Plans
Getting to Champaign-Urbana
Once You Are Here
Mandatory ISSS Check-In
All new international students are required by the U.S. government to check in with ISSS during the designated check-in times. More information about the check-in process can be found on the ISSS website.
International Student Checklist
Learn more about obtaining your university NetID/Password, ID card, updating your local address and registering for classes by vising the ISSS International Student Checklist. If you need to access your online application, remember to use the username and password you created when you applied, not your NetID/Password.
Mandatory Incoming Exchange Student Orientation
You will be required to attend a mandatory orientation during the week prior to the official start of the semester. The exact date, time and location will be provided by email as soon as those details are available. This orientation is for all international students, including those accepted through exchange programs that are managed by the following offices:
- Students accepted into an IAGE program will be assigned to one of the following colleges:
- College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
- College of Applied Health Sciences (AHS)
- College of Education
- College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA)
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS)
- College of Media
- Gies College of Business
- Grainger College of Engineering
- School of Social Work
- ACES Education Abroad
- Gies Global Programs
- LAS International Programs
- College of Media International Office
- International Programs in Engineering
- FAA International Programs