Exchange Application Process
Once you have been formally nominated to participate in an exchange program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, you should receive an application link and access code from your home institution. Here are some important things to know about the application process before you get started.
Who You Will Work With
WWhen you apply as an exchange student, you will work with Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE), an academic college’s study abroad office, and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). It is important to understand the difference between these offices. Click the boxes below to learn more about each office.
The application deadline is cyclical—occurring every year on the following dates.
- Fall and Academic Year (August start): March 1
- Spring and Calendar Year (January start): September 1
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Enrollment as a full-time undergraduate student at an institution that has a bilateral student exchange agreement with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. To find out if your university has an active agreement, contact the office or individual who coordinates such exchanges on your home campus.
- Nomination from your home university to participate in the exchange programs.
- A 3.0 out of a 4.0 grade point average or a "B" average in all courses.
- Completion of one year of university education prior to commencement of the exchange program.
- English language proficiency (see "English Language Proficiency Verification" on the Instructions & Components page).
- Certified evidence of financial support (see "Certification of Financial Support" on the Instructions & Components page).
All incoming exchange students must submit their applications electronically. You should have received the link and access code via email from your home university. Visit the Instructions & Components page for next steps in the application process.