The Illinois for Illinois (I4I) Scholarships are available to all University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign undergraduate students studying abroad on pre-approved programs. The funding for this scholarship is provided by a student-initiated fee.
Scholarship application deadlines often fall before or on the same day as the program application deadline. Be sure to research and apply for scholarships as early in the process as possible.
The Fall Cycle provides scholarships primarily for Winter Short Term (Fall 2nd 8-week course with travel during winter break), Spring and Spring Short Term (Spring 1st 8-week course with travel during spring break) abroad programs. The application opens Mid-May and is due on September 15.
The Spring Cycle provides scholarships primarily for Summer Short Term (Spring 2nd 8-week course with travel during summer break), Summer, Fall, and Academic Year study abroad programs. The application opens Mid-October and is due on February 15.
Students can apply up to three cycles early for an I4I scholarship. For example, if you want to study abraod in Spring 2024, you will have three opportunities to apply: Fall 2022 cycle, Spring 2023 cycle and Fall 2023 cycle
Special note:For students applying to a Spring program with an Early Action Deadline, scholarship award notifications do not go out until mid-to-late October.
The I4I is awarded in three different categories: General Merit, Financial Need, and Underrepresented. Students traveling to non-traditional locations receive some special consideration. Students can be considered in all of the categories for which they are eligible, but may only receive an award in one category.
- Half of the available funding is awarded in the financial need category. The scholarship committee uses FAFSA information and a budget statement on the application to determine financial need.
- A third of the available funding is awarded in the underrepresented category. The underrepresented categories include: 1) First Generation Student (neither parent graduated from a four-year institution with a degree); 2) Traditionally underrepresented minority (Latinx, Black, Native American, or Pacific Islander); 3) Students with a physical or sensory disability registered with DRES on campus.
- The remaining funding is awarded in the general merit category. All applications are automatically considered for an award in this category.
- Short-Term (Winter Break, Spring Break, or Summer): $1,000
- Summer (must be full time, 6-12 returned credits): $2,000
- Semester (Fall or Spring): $3,000
- Academic Year: $5,000
To be eligible for an I4I Scholarship, you must:
- Be a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign student (international degree-seeking students ARE eligible for most scholarships);
- Meet the academic requirements of your college to be eligible to study abroad;
- Identify a study abroad program that is approved by the university, to which you intend to apply or have already applied
Frequently Asked Questions
Drafting Your Application
The National and International Scholarships Program is available to assist you in revising applications for regionally or nationally competitive study abroad scholarships.
If you are applying for a scholarship consult the Writers Workshop and/or asking a peer to review your work. For those unavailable to meet face-to-face with the Writers Workshop, consider participating in their online synchronous tutoring service.
Questions about I4I may be directed to the Study Abroad Scholarship Team.