Virtual Global Experiences
Study abroad is one area of university life that has been dramatically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, select virtual engagement opportunities with a global focus are now available to students.
Due to the suspension of study abroad through May 2021, we recognize that students may be interested in a virtual opportunity to supplement their academic experience at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Through Virtual Global Experiences, students are able work remotely with international organizations, collaborate on projects, and conduct research with international faculty and students.
These professional and research experiences offer students the opportunity to gain valuable life and career skills through focused projects with alumni, an employer, or a partner organization. Students and organizations collaborate remotely, allowing students to gain global and intercultural competency skills working with organizations worldwide. Students will also be able to earn university credit.
- Explore the Virtual Global Experiences brochure page to explore programs, credits, and scholarships. All opportunities are open to all majors!
- When you are ready to open an application, click on the "Apply Now" button under the Apply tab of the Virtual Global Experiences brochure page. You can only apply to one program per term. The application will ask you for 2nd and 3rd program choice options.
- After you have opened an application, meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss the application process, logistics, and expectations.
- After meeting with your advisor, submit your Virtual Global Experiences application and any related scholarship applications by the application deadlines.
- Follow the next steps from the organization, including interviews, placement, and orientations.
- Spring 2021 semester: November 15
- Summer 2021 session: March 15
- Fall 2021 semester: June 15