Advice & Tools
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) seeks to provide comprehensive and inclusive resources for students studying abroad.
Whether you are an experienced or first-time traveler, your time abroad will be exciting and challenging in its own unique way. We have compiled resources from our office, across the Illinois campus, and our partners for you to reference during pre-depature and while abroad.
- Get the necessary vaccines for your host country and consult with your International Insurance provider and doctor about getting medications/prescriptions for the duration of your time abroad. Consult McKinley Health Center Immunization Allergy, and Travel Clinic
- If you have a visible or non-visible disability, understand your rights and responsibilities and arrange the necessary accommodations. Consult Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES)
- Understand your health coverage while abroad and investigate international insurance
- Review International Safety and Security’s training for students and safety and wellness tips
- Talk to the Office of Student Financial Aid to see how your financial aid package applies to the cost of your study abroad program
- Alert your bank of your international travel and arrange to have multiple forms of payment on hand while abroad
- Check with your Academic Advisor and ensure that you have completed any prior course approval forms
- Make photocopies of your passport/visa, credit/debit cards, prescriptions, and flight itineraries to have on hand while abroad and email copies to yourself and a family member or friend
- Talk to your cell phone provider about your international travel and arrange for any upgrades. Be sure to discuss with family and friends how you will be communicating with them while abroad
- Label your luggage, inside and out, with your name and information
- Attend any required meetings for your program
The IAGE Housing Board is a secure online message board for outgoing or incoming exchange students in search of housing in Champaign-Urbana. Whether you are headed on a study program and are searching for someone to sublet your apartment or a returning student looking for housing, this is the place for you.
Important note: You must have a Net ID and AD password to access this form. We are not responsible for any theft or damage nor do we condone students breaking their lease agreements by posting an ad that lists an apartment that forbids subletting. If you would like an edit made to your post on the housing board, please contact email@example.com.