Gies College of Business
• Completion of the Course Approval Summary Form is not required before departure.
• All courses taken abroad must be approved.
• Submit the Course Approval Summary Form to email@example.com.
• Academic Advisor signature is not required.
This webpage is for students who are enrolled in the Gies College of Business during the semester they are studying abroad. Business students participating in both business-sponsored programs and programs sponsored by other colleges will need to fill out their Course Approval Summary Form according to the directions below.
The course approval process informs students, how courses will transfer from their study abroad experience. Do not include Illinois courses you plan to take online. This form is not used to register for classes at the partner university.
If you do not submit a course approval form by the due dates below, all classes will default to graded and transfer the letter grade to your Illinois transcript. If a course is on the host university transcript, it will and must transfer into your academic record at Illinois.
Course Approval Summary Form Due Dates
- Fall participants: October 1
- Spring participants: March 1
- Summer participants: July 1
You may submit the Course Approval Summary Form prior to these final dates if you would like to verify your course articulations. However, if you make any changes to your course registration, make sure to submit your updated form by the deadlines listed above.
Course Approval Instructions
Steps to complete the Course Approval Summary Form
- For majors or minors outside of Gies Business, students are subject to the policies and procedures of the department in charge of the major/minor. You must get the Course Approval Summary Form signed by the department in charge of the major/minor before submitting them to your major department.
- Non-business majors requesting a course articulation for a BADM, FIN, or ACCY course should submit the same form as business majors. Forms are reviewed within 2-3 weeks. You will get a response with the course equivalency via e-mail. If you need your Course Approval Summary Form signed for approval, you can reply to the e-mail to request it.
- Courses such as language courses that are not included on the host institution's official transcript will not transfer to Illinois.
- Students will only receive credit for study abroad courses with the word “internship” in the title if the title of the course appears on the transcript and is supervised by a faculty member.
- Any official course included on the host institution's official transcript will be transferred to the Illinois transcript.
Submitting Updated Forms
If your courses change or you want to change your CR/NC selection, email an updated form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Requirements & Limitations for Business Students
View specific course requirements and limitations on the Gies Global website
Follow your home college course approval process and then email email@example.com for a minor modification.