mobile menu toggle

College of LAS

The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences has its own study abroad office and programs designed specifically for LAS majors, as well as those open to students campus-wide. Students should review this information as they begin planning their study abroad experience.

Student Stories

View LAS Stories


LAS International Programs, in partnership with academic units and centers work to provide academically enriching semester, year-long, and short-term programs. In addition to the academic components, many of the programs provide opportunities for experiential learning through internships, research, and community engagement.

Remember: students can choose to pursue a variety of academic, professional, and personal interests as they study abroad and are not limited to these programs.

LAS Residential Programs provide students with pre-articulated coursework with residency status that a LAS academic unit deems equivalent in quality and caliber to coursework at the University of Illinois with our own faculty. These pre-articulated courses count for LAS residency credit, and in many cases include advanced-level coursework (300 and 400 level courses) that can be used as advanced hours towards the major.

LAS Residential Programs include Illinois signature programs such as Illinois in Vienna Programs (IiVP), Illinois Programs in Paris (IPP), or Year in Japan (YIJ), specialized experiential learning programs such as the Institute for Field Education (IFE) or SEA Semester, or major-specific programs such as MCB in Stockholm. Some LAS Residential programs include an exchange component so students can take courses at local universities in a wide range of disciplines.

Faculty in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences lead short academic programs abroad where Illinois students take a required course and travel abroad together, often with the professor(s). These programs typically cross-disciplinary and take place over the winter, spring, and summer breaks.


Application Deadlines for LAS Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs  

  • Winter short-term programs: September 15
  • Spring short-term programs: November 15
  • Summer short-term programs: February 15 

For a full-updated list of current short-term and faculty-led programs, visit the LAS International Program’s website.

There are a few programs in which an internship, research, and/or community engagement experience is the core component of the program.

Academic Considerations

Before you apply, make sure to review the following policies and procedures that apply specifically to LAS students.

LAS International Programs staff advise students interested in all things international, from study abroad to global course offerings, virtual exchange, career development, and graduate school.

Advising is an important part in the process of choosing a study abroad program and preparing for the next steps ahead. As part of the application, all students applying to study on an LAS-sponsored program are required to schedule an appointment with a LAS International Programs advisor or stop by the LAS Student Academic Affairs Office (2002 Lincoln Hall) between 1:00-5:00pm to speak with an advisor and to explore your options!

Note: If you are applying to study on a program through another College, LAS recommends that students meet with the program advisor indicated on the “contacts” tab of the program brochure.

Preparing for your advising appointment: We recommend that students explore their program options and consider these questions before your advising appointment:

  • What aspects of a program are most important to me (course-work, location, language, professional development, duration, etc.)?
  • What are my personal, academic, and/or career goals and how do I hope to achieve these through study abroad?
  • What term do I want to go abroad and how does this fit into my academic plan?
  • Do I need advanced-level and/or residential credit?
  • Do I want to further develop my language skills or complete my LOTE abroad?

Action items post-advising appointment:

  • Select a program and an alternative option (if needed)
  • Explore the courses offerings and select 6-8 courses you would be interested in taking
  • Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your course selection and how it fits into your academic plan
  • Submit your application by the deadline indicated on the brochure
  • Apply for scholarships and meet with the Office of Financial Aid
Make an Appointment

LAS students should review the course approval process for prior to departure.


LAS International Programs
2002 Lincoln Hall (702 S. Wright St.)
Phone: 217-333-1705