University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Course Approvals

Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) does not approve courses. It is the responsibility of the student to get their courses approved by their college via the colllege course approval instructions below.

Choosing Your Study Abroad Courses

  1. Explore your host institution's website (find the link on the program's My Study Abroad brochure page) to identify courses you can take abroad.
  2. Use the Course Approval Database to see which courses have been approved and what Illinois credit has been awarded.
  3. Course Approval Database
  4. Discuss study abroad course selection with your academic advisor.

College Course Approval Instructions

Follow the instructions for the college in which you are enrolled during your term abroad. For example, if you are in the College of ACES, but participated in an LAS study abroad program, you need to follow the ACES course approval instructions. Depending on your college, you may need to complete the Course Approval Process prior to departure.


Request Transcripts from Host Institution

  1. Notify your program or institution to send the original transcript directly to the Office of the Registrar at the following address:
  2. Office of the Registrar
    ATTN: Stewart Schrof, Academic Records Coordinator
    Study Abroad, Graduation and Graduate Support
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    901 West Illinois Street, Suite 140
    Urbana, IL 61801-3446

  3. Make sure you have paid all bills at your host institution abroad. Outstanding financial obligations may prevent your transcript from being released.
  4. If you are applying to graduate, medical, or law schools, and/or need official transcripts for your own use, make the proper arrangements with your host institution to have them sent directly to you or to the requesting institution. The University of Illinois will not be able to provide official copies of your international transcript to you or any third party.
  5. Ask the host institution staff or advisor when your transcript will be mailed to Illinois upon completion of your study abroad program. The timing varies significantly from program to program. This information will give you an approximate timeline for your record processing at Illinois. The processing of your study abroad record at Illinois cannot start until your international transcript is received.

Important note: Bring all your course materials, artwork, syllabi, etc. back to Illinois. They may be needed to determine the exact equivalency of the courses you took abroad. Do not discard them until you see your courses posted on your Illinois academic record.